Real Estate Law - Residential
Residential real estate is usually an owner’s biggest asset. However, the process of purchasing or selling a home can be difficult, and even after the purchase is made, legal problems can occur. As a homeowner or potential buyer, you deserve a real estate attorney who will adamantly represent your interests and make the process that much easier for you.
Real Estate and Property Law covers an extensive and complex legal area, which is regulated by federal and state statutes, as well as common law. Many aspects of this area overlap with contract law. It is further complicated by the significant inconsistencies in laws between different cities and states. Real property/real estate encompasses more than just structures and buildings on the land – it also comprises the land which they reside on; immovable structures like trees, bushes, and minerals permanently affixed there; and the benefits that are legally considered to be attached to the property, such as rights to the air above the land, to drill in the ground beneath it, to live on the property for a specific timeframe, etc.
Our residential and commercial real estate attorney can help you variety of related issues, including the following: sales, purchases, other transfers, and development of residential real estate; home loans and foreclosures; zoning and land use; legal aspects of rental property and landlord issues; tenants’, renters’, and homeowners’ rights; property titles; settlement of claims against property rights; and many other relevant topics. Dolan Law Firm can help with whatever your needs may be, from drafting deeds and filing liens to handling boundary disputes and representing families in court when threatened with foreclosure.
Prior, During, and Post-Sale
Prior to the sale of a home, a residential real estate attorney may:
- Read your real estate contract and ensure that it is worded to protect your interest
- Handle legal issues regarding any real estate liens or property interests that appear against the home
- Assure that the seller has good and clear title to the property
- Provide recommendations for home inspection services, if needed
During the sale of a home, a real estate lawyer may:
- Attend the closing
- Ensure that all closing documents are properly signed and worded
- Handle any problems that may occur on the date of closing
- Provide counsel as to whether the closing should go forward if a problem occurs
- Ensure that the deed is properly recorded
Post-sale, an attorney may:
- Handle litigation involving any defects in the property that the seller had a duty to expose, including those pertaining to exterior property, grounds, and driveways
- Handle disputes regarding property borders
- Draft lease agreements and prepare contracts
- Handle foreclosures
Residential Real Estate Lawyer for New Haven County
If you are looking for assistance regarding a commercial property, do not hesitate to contact an experienced real estate lawyer from Dolan Law Firm for help. Michael Dolan is a well-respected real estate attorney dedicated to guiding clients through the rigorous process of purchasing, selling, or developing real estate. The team at Dolan Law Firm has successfully handled many real estate transactions involving residential and commercial properties throughout Connecticut. Call us today to see how we can be of assistance.